Sony Ericson has introduced the latest member of its Xperia family, the Xperia X8 Android Smartphone. The SE XPERIA X8 is still under development and is code-named Shakira, it will apparently combine it’s Android 1.6 with the X10 Mini’s UI rather than Sony Ericsson’s Timescape UI. The Sony Ericsson Xperia X8 targets price-conscious users looking for a stylish Android handset that doesn’t necessarily have to run the latest firmware.
The Xperia X8 powered by a 600MHz processor with 128MB RAM that should run the 1.6 Android OS, the phone measures just 99 x 54 x 15 mm and weighing in at 104 grams, it’s narrower and lighter than iPhone 4. This Machine packs a 3-inch touchscreen display, it offers the same 320×480 pixel resolution like the 3.5-inch display on the iPhone 3GS.
Sony Ericsson Xperia X8 cell phone also comes with a 3.2-megapixel camera with video recording and photo geotagging, Wi-Fi, 3G networks, a 1200mAh battery, a 3.5mm headphone jack, Bluetooth stereo, A-GPS, FM radio, USB mass storage, and 128 MB of internal memory, coupled with a microSD card slot with support for cards of up to 16GB.
Xperia X8 Preloaded with a Facebook app, Sony Ericsson’s stuff (a music player, photo viewer, unified social networking feeds, radio app, etc.), in addition to the usual Google offerings like Gmail, Google Calendar, Google Latitude, Google Maps with Street View, Google search widget, Google Talk, YouTube, and Android Market client.
Sony Ericsson Xperia X8 will be proving a great entertainment smartphone meant to expand the reach of Sony Ericsson’s popular lineup to more market segments. SE Xperia X8 will be available in five variants of colour scheme – white, dark blue/white, aqua blue/white, pink/ white and silver/white, expected to hit selected markets beginning third quarter of 2010 for an estimated $318 (€259 in Europe).
Sony Ericsson Xperia X8 Specifications
* OS – Android 1.6
* Screen – 16,777,216 colour TFT capacitive 3-inch touchscreen, 320 x 480 pixels, scratch-resistant (minimum pencil hardness 6H)
* Camera – 3.2 megapixel, video recording, geotagging, direct picture upload to Facebook, Sony Ericsson Album application
* Networks – UMTS HSPA 900/2100, GSM GPRS/EDGE 850/900/1800/1900, UMTS HSPA 800/1900/2100,GSM GPRS/EDGE 850/900/1800/1900
* Connectivity – 3.5 mm audio jack, Bluetooth technology, WiFi, Micro USB connector, NeoReader barcode scanning app, Sony Ericsson Sync, USB mass storage, USB support
* Optional accessories – Hi-Fi Wireless Headset with FM Radio MW600, Portable Stereo Speakers MS450, Hi-Fi Headset with Remote MH810
* Music – Bluetooth stereo (A2DP), Sony Ericsson Music Player, PlayNow, TrackID
* Web – WebKit browser, pan and zoom, bookmarks
* Communication – Facebook application, Sony Ericsson Timescape
* Messaging – SMS, MMS, predictive text input, push email, instant messaging, Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync support with Dataviz RoadSync
* Entertainment – infinite button, Sony Ericsson FM radio, video streaming, video viewing
* Organiser – calendar, flight mode, phone book with dialer, notes, Sony Ericsson Home with Widget
* Location-based services – A-GPS, Google Maps, Wisepilot turn-by-turn navigation (free trial version)
* Google services – Android Market client, Gmail, Google Calendar, Google Latitude, Google Maps with Street View, Google search widget, Google Talk, YouTube
* Inside the box – Xperia X8 phone, battery 1200mAh, stereo portable handsfree, 2GB microSD card, Micro USB cable for charging, synchronisation, and file transfer, user documentation
* Colour – white, dark blue/white, aqua blue/white, pink/white, silver/white