The Aly phone is the first LG-made Android phone to reach the US and is also LG’s most advanced in North America. LG has given the new smartphone only light customization with a special shortcut-laden taskbar, new widgets and categories in the app launcher. The phone ties closely into Iron Man 2 and will have both an exclusive comic book and a related augmented reality app out of the box.
The LG Ally sports an MSM7627 600MHz processor (same as in the Palm Pixi), 512MB of ROM, and 256MB of RAM. The Ally runs the latest Android 2.1 operating system, which means, among other things, live wallpapers and voice input. A slide-out keyboard and a 3.2-megapixel camera with flash and video capture put the Ally in the mid-range of smartphones. with a capacitive touchscreen, 802.11n Wi-Fi, GPS and a mid-tier processor fast enough to run Android 2.1 with the 3D app grid and live wallpapers.
The LG Ally measures 4.6 x 2.2 x 0.6 inches, making it 0.2 inches narrower but 0.1 inches thicker than the Droid, and nearly the same size as the Devour (4.5 x 2.4 x 0.6 inches) and has ergonomic curves and angles along its sides, so it feels comfortable in the hand. At 5.57 ounces, the Ally smarphone is no lightweight, but it’s still lighter than both the Motorola Devour and the Motorola Droid. the Ally phone TFT display has 262,000 colors plus an 800×480-pixel resolution, resulting in really crisp and vibrant images. It looks great under bright sunlight as well. Just above on the touchscreen is a Back and a Search button. On the right side is a camera button and a microSD Card slot (up to 16GB).
Other features include text and multimedia messaging, visual voice mail, speech-to-text recognition, voice commands, Wi-Fi, A-GPS, and stereo Bluetooth. with a capacitive touchscreen, 802.11n Wi-Fi, GPS and a mid-tier processor fast enough to run Android 2.1 with the 3D app grid and live wallpapers.
LG also bundles Ally with DivX VOD compatibility. you can access your registration code from Settings and input it into your computer’s player to link the device to your account.
The Ally also has turn-by-turn directions from Google Maps and access to more than 30,000 apps in Android Market. Users can switch between surfing the Web and emailing to text messaging and updating statuses on social-networking sites like Facebook and Twitter. The LG Ally will ultimately cost less than its fellow Android counterpart as Verizon plans to sell the LG phone for just $100 on contract.
* 800/1900 MHz CDMA, EVDO Rev A
* MSM7627, 600MHz processor
* Memory: ROM 512MB, RAM 256MB
* 3.2″ Touch Screen, 800 x 480 Pixels, 262K Color TFT
* Slide-Out QWERTY Keyboard
* BLUETOOTH 2.1 + EDR
* 3.2 Megapixel with Autofocus and Flash; Dedicated Camera/Video Key
* 3.5mm Headset Jack
* Android 2.1 OS; Google Experience Device
* LG Widgets including calendar widget, Weather+time, Socialite widget
* Integrated Google and Facebook Contacts in LG Socialite
* Push Gmail and Exchange, Google Calendar
* 4GB microSD pre-installed
* S-GPS and aGPS Capable
* Speakerphone MP3 Ringtones (Embedded Ringtones, Vibrating Alerts, and Silent)
* Visual Voice Mail Capable
* Google Apps include Google Search;
* Google Maps with Navigation Beta, Transit, and Wikipedia Information;
* Google Talk with Presence; Gmail; YouTube™; Latitude; Google Calendar
* 1000s of Apps and 100s of Widgets Available in Android Market
* Android Webkit HTML5-based Browser
* Google Over the Air Updates
* Dimensions: 4.56″ (H) x 2.22″ (W) x 0.62″ (D)
* Weight: 5.57 oz.
* Usage Time: Up to 450 mins or Standby Time: Up to 500 hr