Hardly 3 months have passed since the release of iPhone 5s, yet tech lovers and pundits are already getting giddy about the iPhone 6. The rumor mills are grinding furiously. Add to this a few leaks from reliable sources and some informed conjecture and we have a pretty good picture of various aspects of the iPhone 6:
Release date and name- Apple’s release schedule tends to allow a year between successive products and given that the iPhone 5 was released in September a safe bet for iPhone 6 would be between September and December of 2014. However a release as early as June could happen to help Apple compete with Samsung Galaxy S5 expected around the same time. There is a some likelihood that this phone will be called iPad Air going by the precedent Apple set by using ’iPad Air’ instead of iPad 5.
1. Display – The display is expected to be the most significant tweak. Apple is certainly going to be tempted to use a larger screen having seen how people are warming up to their Android rivals’ phones with larger screens. It is rumored that they are considering anything between 4.5 and 6 inches. However the greatest likelihood is that it will be a curved 4.8 inch Retina display with 1080 p resolution. A patented pressure sensitive display could also debut on this Smartphone. This technology allows the phone to execute commands depending on how hard the display is pressed.
2. Design – The body is certainly going to have greater dimensions in terms of width and height to accommodate the larger display. Some quarters suggest that it is going to be thinner with rounded corners and that the home key is going to be retired to create more space. It may also feature a smooth bezel around the screen. This would display additional information as well as buttons that would complement the on-screen ones. It is likely that the display will be made of sapphire glass which is super hard, effectively making the display unbreakable due to hard impact and impossible to scratch. It is also rumored that Apple is considering using Liquid Metal Build, a type of 3D printing to make the iPhone 6.
3. Operating system – It is expected that iOS 8 will first feature on this Smartphone. It is not much different from iOS 7 apart from a few enhanced features such as maps and mobile payment software. In addition to the Touch ID security system there could also be an addition of facial recognition. There is also a chance that gazes detection will be added. This feature enables the phone to switch off the screen temporarily if you are looking away to save battery power.
4. Processor and storage – the 64-bit A7 processor in the iPhone 5S is the fastest processor in any Smartphone in the market. It is unlikely that Apple will introduce the A8 processor that fast so at most we expect a slightly upgraded version of the A7. It will also have an M7 motion co-processor. In terms of storage it is expected to come with the usual 16 GB, 32 GB, and 64 GB variants though like the iPad 4 it could feature a 128 GB memory.
5. Camera – all signs point to a 12 megapixel camera, an upgrade from the current 8 Mp. A patented technology that allows the user to capture an image and then reselect the focal point latter is expected to feature.
6. Price – prices generally don’t fluctuate from model to model and there is all the likelihood that the iPhone 6 will retail at the same price as its predecessor; $199 for the 16 GB version, $299 for the 32 GB version and $399 for the 64 GB version of a 2 year contract. Rumors abound however that this is going to be the most expensive yet owing to the many pricy upgraded components Apple will have to order.