Google has released Google Maps 5.0, an updated version of Google Maps for Android phones. Android 1.6 devices can also get Maps 5.0, but most of the new features requires Android 2.0 version or above. The Google Maps 5.0 Android features a new level of awesome, adding 3D maps, compass mode, Tilt, Rotate, Smooth zooming, Offline rerouting, and Offline reliability.
You can now explore maps in three dimensions, showing you 3D representations of buildings, and also can twist with two fingers to rotate, pinch to zoom, and access a compass mode. With Google Maps 5.0 3D capability, you can see a simulated skyline for more than 100 cities around the world with 3D buildings. You only just enter compass mode by tapping the compass icon in the top right corner and than The 3D map will flip into 3D mode and start rotating to match your perspective, so it always faces the same direction you are.
The Google Maps 5.0 app will also be able to cache large areas on your android phone based that you use most often to let you view maps offline, even you travel into a dead spot, the Google Maps will still dynamically render parts of the map, keeping travelers on the right path without Internet connectivity.
Google Maps 5.o features
* Rotating : Twist with two fingers to rotate the map. After tilting to see 3D buildings, rotate around them to gain a new perspective from any direction.
* Tilting: Drag down with two fingers to tilt the map. Tilt while zoomed in on one of the 100+ cities around the world with 3D buildings to see a skyline spring to life.
* Smooth zooming: Slide two fingers together or apart, and see the map and labels continuously scale to any zoom level, stopping when your fingers stop.
* Offline reliability : Maps of the areas you use the most get preloaded in the background so you can see and interact with the map, even if you lose your connection temporarily.
* Compass mode: Center the map on your location, and then tap the compass button in the top right corner. The map will flip into 3D mode and start rotating to match your perspective, while still keeping all the labels upright and readable.
* Offline rerouting : Google Maps Navigation (Beta) automatically reroutes you, even if you lose your connection after starting a route.